WordPress is a powerful and popular Content Management System. However, it has it’s own Pros and cons. Being so widely used and being an open-source, it becomes a common target for hackers by default. Therefore, site users/publishers can benefit from familiarizing themselves with WordPress security issues and taking measures to prevent them. The Plus is, Wordpress offers many different steps to secure WordPress.
Why is it Important to secure our wordpress site?
This CMS platform powers over 40% of all websites, globally. It’s an open-source project, meaning that anyone can contribute to its development. Millions of people around the world use WordPress. But because of its popularity and open-access, this CMS is a prime target for hackers and malicious users, unavoidably. A security breach can jeopardize the safety of the website and the visitors’ data. This infiltration can hurt the traffic and business, causing long-term damage to the business’s reputation.
Making sure we take preventive measures and stay at the top of these situations is what will help us have a safe and improved website in hand. Whether we have a hacked website or if we’re simply looking to take preventative measures to safeguard the website in hand, plenty of services, tools, and solutions are available at your disposal. As with any software, WordPress is not immune to vulnerabilities. So, here are some common WordPress vulnerabilities that we will commonly encounter -
- Outdated versions: Using an outdated version of WordPress can leave your website vulnerable to attacks. It's important to keep your WordPress installation up-to-date with the latest version.
- Weak login credentials: Weak passwords can be easily hacked, giving attackers access to your WordPress dashboard. It's important to use strong, unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication.
- Insecure themes and plugins: Malicious code can be hidden in insecure themes and plugins. Be sure to only download themes and plugins from reputable sources and keep them up-to-date.
- SQL injections: A SQL injection is an attack that targets the database that your website runs on. Attackers can inject malicious code into your website's database to steal information or take control of your website.
- Cross-site scripting (XSS): Cross-site scripting vulnerabilities allow attackers to inject malicious code into your website, which can result in website defacement or stealing of sensitive information.
- Brute force attacks: A brute force attack is an automated attempt to guess a password by trying all possible combinations. This can be prevented by limiting login attempts and using strong passwords.
- File inclusion vulnerabilities: File inclusion vulnerabilities allow attackers to include malicious files on your website, which can be used to execute malicious code on your server.
To minimize the risk of WordPress vulnerabilities, it's important to keep your WordPress installation up-to-date, use strong passwords, only use reputable themes and plugins, and regularly scan your website for vulnerabilities.
A detailed insight on these steps offered,
- Keep your WordPress installation up-to-date: The WordPress team regularly releases security updates to fix vulnerabilities, so it's important to keep your WordPress installation up-to-date.
- Use strong login credentials: Use strong, unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication to prevent brute force attacks and unauthorized access.
- Only use reputable themes and plugins: Use only reputable themes and plugins from trusted sources. Avoid using pirated or nulled themes and plugins.
- Keep themes and plugins up-to-date: Developers often release updates to fix security issues, so it's important to keep your themes and plugins up-to-date.
- Implement security plugins: There are various security plugins available for WordPress that can help protect your website from attacks.
- Use HTTPS: Use HTTPS to encrypt the communication between your website and visitors, which helps prevent man-in-the-middle attacks and data interception.
- Limit login attempts: Implement a limit on the number of login-attempts to prevent brute force attacks.
- Regularly scan your website for vulnerabilities: Regularly scanning your website for vulnerabilities can help you detect and fix security issues before they are exploited by attackers.
By implementing these steps, you can help minimize the risk of WordPress vulnerabilities and protect your website from attacks.
The ASP.NET framework system is introduced on Workiy to provide feature rich deliverables & valuable services to our clients. We put our best foot forward when we assure you results & with our expert team at play, we promise you nothing less than what your business deserves.
Connect with our team today to discuss opportunities, possibilities & how you can acquire our services to make business the one!
Get in Touch
You are just one step away from reaching our expert team.
Workiy is a global company with more than 20 years of experience that provides end-to-end digital solutions, consulting and implementation services to our clients. Be it web or mobile digitalization, cloud transformation or resourcing. We assist our clients in utilizing their digital assets to optimally achieve their business goals and thereby turning their visions into a reality.