Ruby on Rails (RoR) is a web application framework that is designed to simplify and speed up the process of developing web applications. RoR has gained popularity due to its focus on convention over configuration, which means that it provides a set of conventions and best practices that developers can follow, rather than requiring them to configure every aspect of the application themselves.
Development as a Service (DaaS) is a model where development services are provided to clients on a pay-per-use basis. This model is similar to other "as a service" models such as Software as a Service (SaaS) and Platform as a Service (PaaS).
RoR can be used as a Development as a Service platform by providing a hosted environment where developers can build and deploy their applications. This approach can be beneficial for businesses that do not have the resources or expertise to build and maintain their own development environment.
There are several companies that provide RoR Development as a Service, such as Heroku, Engine Yard, and AWS Elastic Beanstalk. These services provide a scalable and secure environment for developers to build and deploy their applications, while also providing additional features such as automated scaling, monitoring, and backups.
While Ruby on Rails Development as a Service can provide many benefits for businesses, there are also some potential business problems that need to be considered.
- Vendor lock-in: By using a Development as a Service platform, businesses may become dependent on a single vendor for their development environment. This can make it difficult to switch to a different platform if the vendor's services or pricing no longer meet the business's needs.
- Data security and privacy: When using a hosted environment, businesses need to ensure that their data is secure and protected. This can be challenging, as the business may not have full control over the hosting environment and may need to rely on the vendor's security measures.
- Limited customization: While RoR provides a lot of flexibility and customization options, the Development as a Service model may limit the ability of businesses to customize their development environment. This can be an issue if the business has specific requirements that are not supported by the platform.
- Cost: While RoR Development as a Service can be cost-effective in the short term, businesses need to carefully consider the long-term costs of using a hosted environment. The costs may increase over time as the business grows and requires more resources or additional features.
- Set up the development environment: Once the vendor has been chosen, developers can set up their development environment on the hosted platform. This typically involves creating a new project and configuring the necessary settings such as the database, application server, and deployment settings.
- Develop the application: With the development environment set up, developers can start building their RoR application using the provided development tools and frameworks. The RoR framework provides a lot of out-of-the-box functionality and conventions, which can help speed up development.
- Test the application: After the application has been developed, it needs to be tested to ensure it works as expected. The vendor may provide testing tools and frameworks to help developers test their applications.
- Deploy the application: Once the application has been developed and tested, it can be deployed to the hosting environment. The vendor typically provides deployment tools and frameworks that can help automate the deployment process.
- Monitor and maintain the application: After the application has been deployed, it needs to be monitored and maintained to ensure it continues to work correctly. The vendor may provide monitoring tools and services that can help identify and resolve issues.
- By using a hosted development platform, businesses can reduce the time it takes to set up a development environment and start building their application. This can help them get their application to market faster, which can be critical in competitive industries.
- RoR DaaS can be more cost-effective than building and maintaining an in-house development environment. The vendor is responsible for managing the hosting infrastructure, which can help reduce costs for the business.
- The hosted environment can be scaled up or down as needed to accommodate changes in demand. This can help businesses to manage costs by only paying for the resources they need.
- The RoR framework provides a lot of flexibility and customization options, which can help businesses to build applications that meet their specific requirements.
- The vendor handles ensuring that the hosting environment is secure and protected. This can help businesses to improve the security of their applications and data.
The hosted environment is optimized for RoR applications, which can help improve the performance of the application. This can lead to a better user experience and increased customer satisfaction.
Get in Touch
You are just one step away from reaching our expert team.
Workiy is a global company with more than 20 years of experience that provides end-to-end digital solutions, consulting and implementation services to our clients. Be it web or mobile digitalization, cloud transformation or resourcing. We assist our clients in utilizing their digital assets to optimally achieve their business goals and thereby turning their visions into a reality.